Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

WIMB-AHHH! When the Tech Goes to Heck!

   Ohhh Wimba...

 Wimba is a web-based tool that allows educators to give their online classes a voice through communication technology that is similar to Skype and Illuminate. It is perhaps the ideal web tool to use for language learning and/or creating vocal exercises in any subject. Wimba's web-based voice tools "facilitate and promote vocal instruction, collaboration, coaching, and assessment." Using Wimba is said to have an impact on the interaction and level of student engagement in any online class. I do not doubt any of this.

 HOWEVER, working with Wimba over the past so many months has proven to be very challenging, not just for myself, but for the other members of my MAIT cohort. We have faced problem after problem after problem, and these repeated issues have frustrated me to the point of punching the computer screen. Luckily, I have self-control. Furthermore, I understand how very important the technology is and thus I am willing to keep the faith and deal with the technical difficulties. Digital literacy is of the utmost importance in the 21st century learning environment, so be patient and don't take a bat to the learning tools of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment