NT Camp 2010 was AWESOME! As a whole, I had a blast and learned so much from the wonderful presenters and participants at this truly spectacular unconference. Thank you Andy Marcinek and everyone else responsible for giving us this great professional development opportunity. Being able to converse with the likes of Tom Whitby (@tomwhitby), Steven Anderson (@web20classroom), Kyle Pace (@kylepace), Mary Beth Hertz (@mbteach), Jerry Blumengarten (@cybraryman1), Eric Sheninger (@NMHS_Principal), David Ginsburg (@CoachGinsburg), Shannon Miller (@shannonmiller), David Timony (@DrTimony), and countless others about various education topics proved to be a deeply. This was a wonderful extension of EdCamp Philly, which itself was an extension of BarCamp Philly. I think that with all of these extensions, we are going to reach great heights.
I participated in a few different workshops and I learned a lot from all of them. One of the workshops was titled SMACKDOWN, presented by Steven Anderson. It was a very interesting concept for a workshop. Every participant was required to get up in front of the room and present a web tool, program, or website, to the workshop attendees. It wasn't as painful as I thought it was going to be and I left with a wealth of new web tools and resources, some of which I had never even heard of; luckily, only a few bruises. In any case, here is the SMACKDOWN hitlist, as compiled by Steven Anderson and the NT Campers.
#NTCamp Smackdown Tools Shared
1) Read It Later: http://readitlaterlist.com- Saving websites to investigate for later.
2) Edmodo: http://edmodo.com- Private social networks/ online classrooms for students and teachers.
3) Gpanion: http://gpanion.com-Access all your Google Apps in one place.
4) Twiducate: http://twiducate.com- Another private social network for the classroom
5) Orbs: http://orbs.com -Very easy website creator.
6) Skype: http://skype.com -Free video calling (http://skypeinschools.pbworks.com and http://skypeananthor.wetpaint.com)
7) Picture This: http://picture-this.wikispaces.com/NITI+2010 -Teaching the importance of visual literacy.
8) Story Corp: http://storycorps.org -Giving real people, real voices.
9) Vocaroo: http://www.vocaroo.com- Free vocal recording online.
10) Prezi: http://prezi.com- Create visually appealing presentations.
11) YoLink Labs: http://yolink.com/labs- Harness the power of YoLink with some cool features for your RSS Reader and Blog
12) Audio File Magazine: http://www.audiofilemagazine.com- Listen to audio books read by some really cool people and a social network for teens to talk about reading. http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/sync/info.html
13) Google Reader: http://reader.google.com- A very powerful RSS reader with tons of customizable features.
14) Yammer: http://www.yammer.com- Another option for a private social network for teachers, schools and districts. (Invite by similar email address.)
15) Symbaloo: http://www.symbaloo.com/us/ - Great dashboard for all of your apps.
16) Yolink: http://www.yolink.com/yolink/ - multi-step search. yolink looks behind pages, through links. and inside of documents. We take unwieldy results and surface key information so you can focus on getting things done. It supercharges Google Alerts.
17) Scratch: http://scratch.mit.edu - Drag & drop programming & art for animations & games; great for humanities content cross-over into kid friendly logic/math based programming; huge online community support & accessible to elementary school kids
18) SweetSearch4Me: http://www.SweetSearch4Me.com - selective, custom search engine that elevates high quality results created for emerging learners.
19) Weebly: http://weebly.com numerous design templates, access to coding, free
20) Weebly for Education: http://education.weebly.com special management features for educators, free
21) WikiSpaces: http://wikispaces.com education features (ad removal), free
22) Wix: http://www.wix.com Flash-based sites, free
23) Yola: http://www.yola.com free and pro versions - Make a great-looking website now with our easy-to-use tools
24) SimplyBox http://is.gd/dEDU8 Great visual way to show sites. Ex. Worldcup sites http://is.gd/dEDZP
25) iNudge: http://inudge.net/ No download, "Everyone can create music"
26) Jam Studio: http://www.jamstudio.com/Studio/index.htm create music with chords
27) The Virtual Piano: http://www.thevirtualpiano.com be sure to click and drag the music book on the piano
28) Keyboard Drum Kit: http://www.ronwinter.tv/drums.html no option to save or to create compositions
29) CodeOrgan: http://www.codeorgan.com "plays" a website. Complete time waster!
30) Online MP3 Cutter: http://cutmp3.net
31) Audiotool: http://www.audiotool.com sophisticated music maker
32) Soundation: http://www.soundation.com create music on the web
33) Aviary Music Creator: http://aviary.com/tools/music-creator
34) Aviary Myna: http://aviary.com/online/audio-editor online audio editor
35) Nature Sounds Mix: http://www.naturesoundsfor.me select and mix up to four sounds, play, download
36) Twiddla- http://twiddla.com
Multi-user, real time whiteboard and collaboration space
37) Troovi: http://www.troovi.com Super easy way to collect photos from multiple people with just a URL - No sign in required, although if you have an account, you can keep track of your photos if you lose the URL.
38) Livebinder of AASL 25 Top Websites for Teaching and Learning: http://livebinders.com/play/play/19171 This livebinder contains a variety of free online tools.
39) Readability http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/ Makes reading on the web more enjoyable- cleans up the pages.
40) SQWORL http://sqworl.com Easy way to share bookmarks with people that featuring a thumbnail of that site, VERY short urls & a toolbar add link button!
I hope some of these, if not all, will be of use to you!
All of these unconferences have spoiled me. I yearn for more professional development opportunities. I am so excited about going to EdCamp NYC to continue learning and growing as an educator. I already have my tickets. Do you? DON'T MISS EDCAMP NYC!
I thought it would be interesting to sum up my day at NT Camp 2010 by providing a comprehensive summary of my tweets and retweets throughout the course of the day. Check 'em out and let me know what you think! You should be able to find some quality resources in the people and websites that are referenced in the following tweets:
- RT @dannymaas: Edistorm -web-based brainstorming app incl. idea templates & iPhone/iTouch app! http://edistorm.com #edchat #creativity
- RT @eonline: Avengers Cast Flocks to Comic-Con, With New Hulk! http://bit.ly/cOePEM #ADM
- RT @Library_demon: Transliteracies and Libraries http://librariesandtransliteracy.wordpress.com/what-is-transliteracy/ #edu21 #ntcamp
- RT @educatoral: RT @Nunavut_Teacher Evolving Schools for a Whole New Mind http://bit.ly/ceoKuS #edu21
- RT @PhillyPhillies: Moyer's career brilliant but not Hall-worthy http://is.gd/dFM5i <---MAYBE NOT FIRST BALLOT, BUT HE WILL...AND IS WORTHY.
- RT @dannymaas: 5 Free Tools to Create Mobile Version for your website: http://digg.com/d31Xsvw?t #edtech #edchat #ntcamp #edu21
- @kylepace It was great to have the opportunity to meet and converse with you in person. I'm glad you made it home safely. Take care! #ntcamp
- RT @educatoral: RT @tonnet Educate yourself (& your students) about Media and Government Propaganda http://is.gd/dFpi3 #ntcamp
- RT @spedteacher: @bf_teach4change Dec 4 at The School - Columbia Univ. http://is.gd/dFGEo #edcampnyc <---GOT MY FREE TIX! HAVE YOU? #ntcamp
- @DrTimony It was fun sharing ideas today at NT Camp and great to see you again!
- RT @shareski: creativity, forget about it if you want a good grade http://bit.ly/b5Bucx
- RT @tomwhitby: RT @WhoDatGirl63: RT @dalmatiasecond: Build A PLN: A Newbie's Guide http://bit.ly/bwBOnl #edu21
- RT@bhwilkoff: New Learning is Change blog entry: Question 205 of 365: Why don't we clear the board more? http://learningischange.com/?p=3947
- RT @hadleyjf: RT @tonnet Teaching is all about inspiring your students and yourself. - @edudemic Inspiration and learning! #edu21
- RT @spedteacher: "The Importance of Problem-Solving Skills" A new blog post http://is.gd/dFraA #edu21
- @web20classroom It was great conversing with you in person!Twitter is great, but the humanistic side yearns for face 2 face.Enjoy the food!
- RT @ShellTerrell: Join free 48hr e-conf July 30- Aug. 1! Click on tabs to see Presenter bios,great prizes,& CEU credit http://bit.ly/bIH6Dp
- RT@budtheteacher: Try this sometime - tell your friends that,no,they're not getting older.They're just "legacy." http://twitpic.com/28etaf
- RT @ShellTerrell: Calling all bloggers! – Leadership Day 2010 How will you participate? http://bit.ly/b2ubqY via @gcouros #edchat #30goals
- RT @Ron_Peck: The 100 Best (And Free) Online Learning Tools http://bit.ly/dao88X #edu21
- RT @rkiker: RT @kristenswanson: @andycienek Thanks for a great day. You did a great job with #ntcamp!
- RT@rkiker:RT@jswiatek: If you missed it. Easy way to follow all those participating in #ntcamp today? List of tweeps- http://bit.ly/aKjFfv
- RT @JusticeProd: I uploaded a YouTube video -- Project Twenty1 of Justice "Sneak peek" http://youtu.be/nFZs32uDvmc?a
- RT @mjgormans: My New Post:1000's Free Digital Media Resources..Multi-discipline..Learn/Create! Enjoy/Share! http://wp.me/pBrsB-kv #edu21
- RT @ShellTerrell: @tkubed @suewaters is what got me started with blogging! She's super helpful & her posts fantastic http://bit.ly/5rKK1f
- RT @ShellTerrell: via @terryfreedman Also on the web: 07/24/2010 (p.m.) http://bit.ly/ajszrx #edtech #edu21
- RT @educatoral: A Classroom Management Strategy For The First Days Of School http://j.mp/9iS3EU #ntcamp
- RT@njtechteacher:Differentiation Resource Kit- @geraldaungst http://differentiationkit.wikispaces.com/ Under construction but great! #ntcamp
- RT @kylepace: @bethstill Sounds like 3Cs of the web grad class I taught: Tools to Create, Collaborate, and Connect. #ntcamp
- RT @educatoral: It is not the tool ... It is how it is used http://j.mp/bQvUvX via Melissa Edwards #ntcamp
- RT @WhiteheadsClass: I have updated my site with a section called "Technology for Teachers." Take a look. http://bit.ly/d941h2 #ntcamp
- RT @paulawhite: RT @njtechteacher: A Google Docs Gifted Gab session http://tinyurl.com/34lwf43 w/ @geraldaungst @paulawhite #ntcamp #edu21
- RT @kylepace: RT @cspiezio: RT @CoachB0066: "We call them cell phones, but they're mobile learning devices" via @tomwhitby #ntcamp #edu21
- RT @DoremiGirl: RT @thomasjwest: @Edukateme M-Audio KeyRig49 is inexpensive & all you need for Sibelius/GarageBand <~ #ntcamp
- RT @educatoral: 12 Healthy Habits to Grow Your Online Presence and Keep Balance Your Life http://j.mp/9Tmv39 via Cool Cat Teacher #ntcamp
- RT @kylepace: @cybraryman1's page of educational chats on Twitter: http://bit.ly/cOBKST #ntcamp #edu21
- RT @kylepace: @web20classroom giving out shoutout to @ghartman for creating http://twitter4teachers.pbworks.com #ntcamp #edu21
- RT @mbteach:Should students be thinking of projects in backwards design-what tools should I use to achieve my goal?<---YES! PROJECT? #ntcamp
- RT @kylepace: RT @kenroyal: #ntcamp Watching best song and dance man since Astaire: @tomwhitby talking @twitter and #edchat
- RT@google:Today's the day for #lifeinaday-film your day & help tell the story of a single day on Earth youtube)" class="tweet-url web" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://bit.ly/9NOoGF(@youtube)#edu21
- RT @blairteach: RT celfoster: The live stream for #ntcamp is back on: http://bit.ly/dj1q43 #ntcamp #edu21
- RT @blairteach: Here's the link to the video @tomwhitby is showing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEls3tq5wIY&feature=youtu.be #ntcamp
- @ShellTerrell Due to my lack of smart phone, I had to wait to get back to my laptop to send this. Anyway, WISH YOU WERE HERE! @tomwhitby
- RT @wfryer: New post: Storychasing Summer Camp http://bit.ly/9aHbYY #edchat #edu21
- RT @kristenswanson: @andycienek Symbaloo: http://www.symbaloo.com/ #edchat #edu21
- RT @kylepace: RT @web20classroom:Here's the link to our Smackdown Doc.Feel free to add your own: http://bit.ly/dyvWn1 #ntcamp #edu21 #edchat
- RT@flourishingkids:RT@jswiatek:@shellterrell 's blog http://teacherbootcamp.edublogs.org/just shared at #ntcamp.You MUST check out ths blog!
- RT @web20classroom: Uh oh...@paulawhite and @pammoran doing our last tool for the smackdown...here we go!<-I THOUGHT I WAS IN FOR IT #ntcamp
- RT @paulawhite: RT@stevejmoore:If U dont seek out opinions that U're strongly opposed 2&seek 2 understand them,U R cheating yourself.#ntcamp
- RT @blairteach: "How the media affects the message" during Smackdown <--- Marshall McCluhan was the man! #ntcamp
- RT @DrTimony: Rubrics=CYA tactic. Students shld B given every oppty 2 demo understanding. Grades not the issue as much as qual tchg. #ntcamp
- RT @plnaugle: I just shared http://orbs.com a very easy tool to use to build a website via SKpye w/ @web20classroom at #ntcamp <-AWESOME!
- RT @mbteach: Do rubrics really allow for differentiation?<-I think if the rubric is tiered appropriately then it has that potential. #ntcamp
- Twiducate is an AWESOME way of using Twitter in the classroom. http://twiducate.com/
- @Google is my significant other. http://gpanion.com/ #ntcamp
- RT @ShellTerrell: If you truly feel you're the writer of your destiny, you decide the ending. - Outlander #quotes #ADM
- RT @andycinek: Broadcasting live now! See me at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ntcamp-live #ntcamp smackdown #edu21
- RT @blairteach: RT @kylepace: "Make teachers aware of the world outside...you're not confined to your 4 walls." via @mbteach #ntcamp
- @mbteach Thanks for the RT!
- @ShellTerrell I can't wait!
- RT @web20classroom: Alright #NTCamp. Lets get the Smackdown going! <--- BRING IT ON!
- RT @mpowers3:Check out the great convo in public Google doc from Creating a Great Ed Tech Course w @mbteach & @alesnick http://bit.ly/9gi154
- RT @irasocol: Multimedia Sources http://europeana.eu/portal/ #ntcamp #edu21 #edchat
- "We need to start changing the minds of the teachers that are teaching our teachers." @web20classroom #ntcamp
- RT @plnaugle: Parents also need to be taught about digital footprint and digital safety. (#ntcamp live at http://ustre.am/lkJN )
- RT @plnaugle: Great idea - set up a Twitter acct for your student teacher. (#ntcamp live at http://ustre.am/lkJN ) #edchat #edu21
- @ShellTerrell We wish you were too! #ntcamp
- RT @web20classroom: I, on a PC, am in a room filled with Macs. #IAmARebel <--- YOU'RE AN OUTNUMBERED REBEL!
- RT @hadleyjf: Brain makes meaning from images before it does from text @pammoran #ntcamp
- RT @paulawhite: #ntcamp amazing resource for primary source ALREADY done. http://bit.ly/9LIggF
- RT @kylepace: RT @web20classroom: Cool resource shared in our session: Serendip: http://bit.ly/de1WJD #ntcamp
- RT @robertshutter: RT @vdovault RT @AFather_And_Son:#TheReThink:How Are Email, Facebook, Twitter Audiences Different? http://sn.im/zsj09...
- @mbteach @tomwhitby @web20classroom @kylepace By the way,panel discussion was AWESOME. It's great to converse w/members of my PLN in person!
- RT @kylepace: I'm in @mbteach's session on How To Create A Great EdTech Course. #ntcamp <---ME TOO!
- RT @web20classroom: RT @gcouros: 70 Ways to Keep Students Engaged http://bit.ly/axkVx4 Some great ideas here! #ntcamp
- RT @web20classroom: #ntcamp kicks off with @cybraryman1 going over the rules of the day! http://twitpic.com/287n4l <--- This guy is AWESOME!
- RT @mbteach: Check out my session at 10:00am: Creating a Great EdTech College Course in the AV room. It will be livestreamed, too. #ntcamp
- @mbteach Gotcha! Hmmm... How's about you give them out to teacher who RTed or blogged about NT Camp...? Oh, and HI! : )
- RT @mbteach: Need a good idea for giving out tee shirts at my #ntcamp sesssion! <---Most tweets about information learned at NT Camp?
- RT@dancallahan:I got talked into doing Things That Suck(for new teachers).topic suggestions welcome! <-I PROMISE THIS WILL NOT SUCK! #ntcamp
- I didn't have my GPS on me, so I had some trouble finding the place, but I am finally at #ntcamp!